Wednesday, October 22, 2008

22nd of October - Texas Hill Country

Garmin says : 79.40 km 2749 cal 1122 m ascent
After leaving this morning I drove to Leakey (which is seemingly pronounced lieky instead of leaky). I had an early Lunch and took a tour which included a part of the southern route. In the beginning was street construction and a street worker called out of his truck: Are you going to Florida, too? The first 16 miles which are part of the southern tier had some of the steepest climbs of the tour. It was pretty exhausting. the worst part was the last 11 miles against furious north winds, I thought, that I would never get back to the car, Driving and riding eats quite a bit of time but I can go to places where I will have very attractive riding. The texan hill country was settled pretty much only by Germans and you still recognize this in the names. Until WWI most people here spoke actually German, but with America joining the fight against Germany that changed.

No comments: