Sunday, October 19, 2008

October 18th, Ft. Davies to Marathon

Garmin says 12 .5 km less than the bikecomputer, because I forgot to turn it back on after lunch: 79.89 km 2420 cal 485 m ascent
Being slightly hung over I decided to cycle only 55 miles to Marathon.I had the whole way headwinds and the asphalt in Texas is just awful. People tell me it eats the tires away. I don't know about that but it for sure hurts the butt of cyclist and it slows you down. They just put a layer of tar on the street and on that they pour gravel. When it gets older you have the tire tracks where the street gets a bit smoother. Unfortunately there was too much traffic yesterday to stay on the street a lot and about 25 miles had been freshly redone, which makes it especially terrible.
Alpine had a lot of government buildings where the spent money on expensive modern architects. That surprised me and it also had a train station with a passenger train which blocked a main city street for at least 20 minutes. I asked the young people in the restaurant where I had lunch from where and to where you could take the train, but they didn't even know or realize that you could take a train.
In Marathon Justin was lucky that he got rooms at all as they had a marathon. I took a cabin at the place where the after party was and he got a room for 80$ in the plush Gage Hotel. But I am pretty happy to have some time to myself. Today I want to go to Big Bend and now Justin wants to come too, which makes it already much less attractive.
Die Geister, die ich rief...

No comments: