Sunday, October 5, 2008

October, 4th Wickenburg to Phoenix

Garmin Lies today as I started it only after several miles, nevertheless it says: 52.18 km - 1792 cal - 128m ascent (this must have been the 4 overpasses)

I did not feel really well this morning as my butt is meanwhile so infected that it gives me fever, and I was a little hungover as well. I tried to call Justin from out of town several times, but his phone was off and he didn't get the message, that there was an open Garage out of town, where he could have gotten my spoiler reattached to the car and some tools to reassemble the bike rack on the roof. The sky was very overcast and in several places the street looked like it had gotten a sprinkling.
Nieselregen ist mir sehr viel lieber als stechende Sonne mit Temperaturen oberhalb von 38 grad (100 fahrenheit). die Landschaft wechselte langsam von landwirtschaftlicher Haesslichkeit in scheusslichste amerikanische Vorstadt. Haeusersiedlungen mit genormten Gebaeuden und Grundstuecken, die alle vom gleichen Bauunternehmer zur gleichen Zeit erbaut werden und dann verkauft werden stehen hinter Mauern, die die Siedlungen von aehnlichen Siedlungen, die andere Bauunternehmen fast genauso gebaut haben, trennen. Dazwischen sind lauter Einkaufscentren, die nur Ketten beherbergen. Wirklich gruselig. Muessten die Einwohner dieser Siedlungen nicht permanent arbeiten um ihre Hypotheken abzuzahlen und deswegen die Haeuser nur uebernacht und am Wochenende benutzt werden, gaebe es sicher noch hoehere Selbstmordraten oder Schulschiessereien in den amerikanischen Vorstaedten.
No money in the world would me ever bring to live in Phoenix. It is the 5th biggest city in the US. But only with the invention of air conditioning people started to settle here. Before you had to survive the summers with months of over 100 degree heat. Like Las Vegas it is an environmental nightmare and it was after LV the fastest growing city in the US. Phoenix is one of the few places, where bicycling actually declined in the last years. If you look around you see many more young fat people than you would like to.
Anyhow I checked into a Motel6 and called Justin to come. He had not done anything about the damage at the car. I had by now a fulblown fever and wanted him to just get it done and let me sleep it off. He kept harressing me and was slow and not able to organize things, I could have killed him. By the end of the afternoon I had to get finally up and take things in my own feverish hands. Now there is a bike rack back on the car, I have new replacement tires (Justin bought them a bit wider because they were in a special, he says. In reality he was not able to ask somebody, if the tires were for a roadbike, because that would have made him look like a newbie. - I hope you read this, Justin!)
We went for dinner which I couldn't finish - how sick is that!

No comments: