Thursday, October 16, 2008

October 16th, Ft. Hancock to Van Horn, West Tx

Garmin says: 120.92 km 4056 cal 856 m ascent
West Texas is an abomination. The only halfway human beings, I saw today were two Aussies from Melbourne at a gas station, who were on their way from LA to NY. This riding along Interstate 10 is just awful loud, ugly and boring. I would even prefer 360 laps on the Hellyer track. You would not have all the time headwinds and you would get the possibility for 360 bathroom stops, which doesn't compare with waiting for a bridge to disappear under that you will not be seen by 150 Border Patrol trooper and 500 truck driver. Tomorrow I have to go another 35 miles on I10, if it doesn't get better afterwards, I let Justin ride a bit. He picks up the ugly bits and I do the rest. But it seems he is onto me, he did already remark on how he hated the ride into El Paso.
My motel room tonight smells of insect poison, if there will be no new postings in the next week, I might have died of it, especially as the window is painted shut - Budget Inn is no Interconti!
The next three or four days are filled with long rides through completely empty countryside. there are two stretches with more that 50 miles without any services. Justin cannot go before me here this would scare me he should always leave that he reaches me in the afternoon and that way I can decide if I call it a day or not. It is supposed to be fun not torture!

No comments: