Monday, October 13, 2008

October 12th - Silver City - Emory Pass - Hillsboro NM

Garmin says: 84.66 km 3104 cal 1680 m elevation
This morning I left finally, the sky was much clearer and the stormy wind was gone. It was hard climbing but I reached the Pass without problems, except for my but, as the yarn donut kept moving in the pants. But at 2100m (already the 3. time as the street went up and down) Justin passed me and I took the Styrofoam, that I found days earlier out of the car and taped it with duct tape to my saddle, from here on my butt was controlled but my cleats broke and my right foot couldn’t click in any longer. I hope my left leg got a bit more workout, it is to much slimmer than the right one anyhow. On the Pass I met a woman from Albuquerque who was catering to her husband and two other guys from Colorado. They had started two weeks earlier in Pie Town and, yes Andreas, they ate pie which was quite spectacular, were hiking to the Mexican border which they expected would take another three week to reach.
We stay over night in a charming little town where everything closes down by 3 a clock in the afternoon. Justin was lucky that he got our rooms. The rooms are very bed and breakfast laura-ashleyesque, what people seem to call quaint - yuk! Tomorrow I plan to proceed to Las Cruces and then it’s off to Texas.

No comments: